Sunday, October 27, 2013

inspiring cab ride

I cabbed home from Jia Min's place. It should be by fate that I met this particularly enthusiastic uncle who is more than willing to share his life story. He first engaged me in small talk, then he proceeded to tell me how his life was. He had a blind daughter, yet very gifted in music. He shared that one day, he is awaken by the sounds of his daughter typing on the braille, she said that she wanted to type her autobiography. If I didn't remember wrongly, this is how it goes...

"I am born blind. but I was lucky to be born to wonderful parents. I cannot see colour, shapes and objects, I can only feel them. I regret not being able to see how my parents looked like, I can only recognise my dear parents through their voice and by touching their faces. But being disability does not equate to being unable to do things...."

She plays the piano. excellence is an understatement. He called his house, and he listed a few of his favourites and asked her to play through the taxi ride, for the next 20 mins. She played each of it flawlessly and so beautifully, I was so awed, it summoned my goosebumps.

I was glad that god was fair. When he took something away from her, he gave her something else. Through the course of listening, it inspired me in so many ways, it triggered my thoughts. I was thinking, for so many able-bodied people, how many of us actually could accomplish our goals in life? When i was young I wanted to be a pianist, but i gave up (involuntarily) when I was in grade 5, I wanted to be a teacher, but I didn't work hard enough. I am a jack of all trades, but master of none. But she -  (her name's Rebecca Koh - has been involved in public performances, charity events, and her music examiners even commented "She's born to be a musician". Her determination and achievements have put many of us, even myself, to ultimate shame. She even strives to do a piano recording so that she can give back to those who are less fortunate.

Before I left the cab, I thought that during the cab ride, I earned more than what I spent, I've become inspired and wiser. I handed a fifty to the uncle, and I told him "Uncle, what your daughter played was not only music, it was tons of hope."

He wanted to give me back the change, but I declined profusely. my giving is so small compared to what she aims to achieve. Rececca & uncle Koh, all the best to both of you!

She was even on the news here. (: 

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Education/Story/A1Story20090406-133635.html

No comments:

Post a Comment